OK, I thought I was going to die today. I got a cramp in my butt, my heart was beating out of my chest and then my hip kept popping. And, this is supposed to be my rest week. I'm taking a short break from running because my foot (plantar fasciitis) is bothering me a bit. So, since I'm not really training for a race, this is a good opportunity to rest, stretch and strengthen and apply some of my rehab exercises. So, I planned to keep my fitness up by doing some non-impact cardio, weight training and yoga this week. Well, I've violated the non- impact rule with a heck of a workout this evening.
Below is my REST WEEK Interval Training workout:
- Bosu Ball Squats - 2 x 15 reps
- Push up and Ball Crunch Combo - 2 x 10 reps
- Get in push- up position with your shins on a stability ball. Complete a push-up, then pull the ball toward your chest with your legs. Return to start.
- Bicep Curls – 2 x 15 reps
- Jumping Jacks – 1 minute (I did 70 each minute so 140 total)
- Mountain Climbers – 2 x 15 (probably should have been cardio for 1 minute)
- Driving The Car – 2 x 30 seconds w/ 10lb weight
- Hold a five to 10 pound plate for the barbell or a hand weight with both hands straight out in front of you. Then move your hands like you were driving left to right in a car. Keep driving for 20 to 30 seconds. This should make your shoulders burn.
- Burpees – 2 x 15 Reps
- Jump up, jump down and extend the legs out; your body is in plank or push up position; jump back in and then jump up and extend the arms over head. This is an explosive full body exercise.
- Front Kicks – 2 x 30 seconds
- Plié Squat – 2 x 15 Reps (1st set – 10lb weight on each leg; 2nd set – 5lb weight on each leg)
- Tricep Extensions – 2 x 15 Reps
- Walking Lunges. – 2 x 20 Reps (so that means 10 on each leg)
- One Arm Rows – 2 x 15 Reps
- Jump Rope – 2 x 30 seconds
- Plank – 2 x 1 min
Workout Reference: http://running.competitor.com/
After all of that it was time for a stretch, shower and an after workout smoothie! It's tart cherry juice, Greek vanila yogurt for protein, frozen blueberries and pineapples. I sometimes add honey or agave nectar for sweetner, but I've got used to the tartness.