Monday, September 27, 2010

I'm BACK!

WHOA! It's been way too long since I blogged. But, my life has been a little hectic for the past several weeks. I've literally been RunDown ~physically and mentally. I took some rest days, ran my long run of 9.75 miles (I claimed 10 miles) on September 11th. Ran again on the following Monday and took another six days off. During those rest days, I started to get very discouraged. I did get my doctor to sign off on physical therapy and the first therapist I saw was a bit arrogant and not a very good listener. He told me my ankles have too much mobility and I'm probably not made for distance running. Perhaps I should just shoot for 10Ks. Then he told me, that I'm too slow. For my fitness level, I really should be running about 8-9 min/miles. OK, needless to say I left that office with no intention of returning, but he did get into my head a little bit. I did find another PT who's started working with me on some strengthening and stretching and some wave and laser treatments. My response has been pretty good. The pain in my shins are gone, but I still have some soreness in my lower ankle area after my runs. So, I'm going to work hard in PT and continue stretching and icing and on Nov 13 I will be completing my first half-marathon.
Ok, so let's fast forward a few weeks and let me give you the real news, the best news. I AM A RuNNER GiRL! OK! I'm in the double-digits. Yes, yes, YES. On, September 25, I ran 11.5 miles, and it felt great. It's cool to say yeah, I ran 11.5 miles on Saturday (Hee-Heee). I'm really proud of myself and my accomplishment right now.
Like I said earlier, there has been so much going on lately. I've been in a funk. I've been so tired lately and my legs always seem to bother me. It's been getting me down about this upcoming race. Two Sundays ago, I caught a sermon on the radio, and the minister talked about the need to renew your mind. He gave some points about controlling your thoughts and how negative things can creep in and discourage you, and that we have the power to control what we think about. Renewing your mind takes effort. It's work to fight off negativity and discouragement. I literally have to stop and say not my will, but Your will. God, what am I being led to do or what are you speaking to me right now? And, when I remove the clutter, he does speak to me. I only hear him when I choose to listen.
Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
Renewing my mind is a constant act of will on my part. Running 10 miles is easy, compared to controlling my thoughts and trusting God's got my back. But just as He would have it, when I'm frustrated or things are getting the best of me, He shows up. Just today I had two reminders of why I should maintain a thankful heart. His grace is sufficient. I believe that.
Grateful Journal
I'm grateful for the lessons in life - big or small.
I'm grateful for my mother.
I'm grateful for my mother-in-law.
I'm grateful for my health.
I'm grateful for a renewed mind.
I'm grateful for clean sheets on my bed.
I'm grateful for a good night's rest after a little talk with Jesus ~ he always makes it all right.
Today, I challenge you to renew your mind. Let go of the little things that in the end don't matter. Cherish the time you have with those you love. Forgive those who hurt you or disappointed you in any way. Life is too short and too full of things you can't change. You can't make up for time you lost being selfish. Purpose your heart to love and respect people. God created us to love each other. It doesn't matter what someone else does or doesn't do, but it matters what you do and how you respond. Respond in love ~ it makes all the difference.
Stay tuned for my update on my 4-mile easy run in torrential rains!!!! I'm a RUNNER for sure........

2 comments:

  1. You are just truly inspiring! Your thoughts on how grateful/blessed you are is just wonderful.
    Stay encouraged and you ARE a runner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. U've been oh so quiet...
    Hope you are still blessed over there!

    ReplyDelete