Tuesday, September 7, 2010

R.E.S.T.

OK, so I had to follow my own advice, listen to my body, and take a REST break. and right now everything below the knees are straight tripping. Six days and no running and I'm tripping. I didn't even get to do my first track workout on Saturday (tear, tear, long sob). Week 3 was indeed a beast and the hill workouts just stressed my already tight gastrocnemius, soleus, and plantar fascia ~ in other words, the big calf muscle, the deep one underneath the big calf muscle and the bottoms of my feet. Hills are stressful because the require muscular strength and you have to change your running gait just a bit to overcome the incline. You can not run anywhere in this city without three or more hills. And guess what? I picked the hilliest, first half marathon I could find. YAY! ME! This race prides itself on the hills and the big one at the 12-13 mile finish which I did run(without stopping) prior to everything locking up on me. But, this is just a little set back. I just have to change up my strategy a little.
I had one of my bi-weekly appointments with my chiropractor today for some soft tissue work and I'm awaiting a call back from my orthopedist so I can go back to physical therapy. YEP! I love my great insurance. Without it, where would I be (probably a couch potato or on the elliptical reading a book)? And, because I have this great exercise science background, I know what to request in my treatment course. So, doctor's nurse please call back first thing in the morning. I know it was a holiday Monday and all, but I need to get moving on my PT eval and treatment plan. I can't stop running.... I told you guys earlier that runners are crazy and this is more than a sign that I'm a real runner even if I haven't hit my double digits yet.
I'm about to heat and stretch before bed and I'm actually going to run in my compression sleeves tomorrow morning. No speedwork or hills, hopefully just a good run and a very good long run on Saturday ~ no less than 8 miles.
Grateful Journal
I am grateful for graham crackers with cream cheese and strawberry preserves.
I am grateful to see my mom turn 61 and still no wrinkles.
I am grateful for family.
I am grateful that I don't need to be right all of the time.
I am grateful that I can still see the good.
I am grateful I'm learning how not to sweat the small stuff ~ it just doesn't matter.
I am grateful for my running group.
I am grateful for prayer.
Today's inspiration comes from a blog I read over the weekend and I fell in love with the acronym P.U.S.H. (Pray Until Something Happens). Jesus said in Luke 18:27 "What is impossible with men is possible with God." I'm praying ya'll. I'm praying for healing, health and strength, my family, financial blessings, and my friends and the desires of their hearts. And where two or three are touching and agreeing, God will show up in the midst. Let's pray ya'll! And, I'm going to run on too. Lacing up the Brooks, it's going to be a good run!

3 comments:

  1. Guuuurl I can't tell you enough how much I love your blog!! One more thing in common we are Christians too! :)

    Yep only a set back and hope your calves get back to feeling tip top soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How have you been feeilng over there lately? Any running going on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for checking on me. I'm still running, but had some things going on that took me away from blogging. How is your training going? Girl, I'm in the double-digits now.

    ReplyDelete