Monday, August 30, 2010

I Ran 8 Miles on Saturday!

I made it to the 8 mile mark ~ only 5.1 more to go right! RIGHT! I’m excited and I can’t believe that from September 2009 through August 28, 2010 I went from running 1/8 of a mile to running 8 miles! Who would have guessed it? Certainly not me. When I started in September, all I wanted to do was run a 5-K and now I’m going to run a half-marathon. I’m stoked right now and I’m really looking forward to my (first) 10-mile run. Running 10 miles will make me feel like I’ve really crossed over into being a runner. It’s something about saying, “yeah, I did 10 miles on my long run this morning.” I can’t wait! Runners are crazy you know. We eat, breathe and live for running. I have practically changed my whole life for running. It’s no longer about what I want to do or what I feel like doing. It’s about what I need to do because I have to run in the morning or I ran today. I go to sleep with thoughts of my next good run.

Only for the Love of Running Will I:

  • Wake up at 5:30 a.m. and actually get up at 5:45 a.m.
  • Get my hair done the night before and then go run 8 miles.
  • Run even though my legs are sore.
  • Run with my legs in Hot Pink KT Tape (athletic tape).
  • Sit in an ice bath for 10 minutes.
  • Iron up all my clothes for the work week.
  • Give up my lazy Saturday mornings.
  • Run through the streets and love it.

Running started out as something to do, just a goal of mine, but it's become much more than that. I'm having a love affair with running. I'm spending time, nurturing and really learning about the sport. I've moved past like to love and from being in love to loving unconditionally. See, unconditional love means I accept the good and bad runs, the aches and pains, the changing weather conditions, the up hills, the downhills, the good and the not so good days. I love running so much that I let it interfere with my hair and I don't even get upset. Unconditional love sets no boundaries~ it just is. Love is more than just saying those words. Love is an act of will~ a sacrifice of unselfishness. Sure, I would love to sleep late in the mornings and not be drop dead sleepy by 8 p.m. but I've made a commitment and a sacrifice for the thing I love ~ running.

Gratitude Journal I am grateful for internet service. I am grateful for cute shoes. I am grateful for a good shampoo and blow out. I am grateful for a good flat iron. I am grateful for re-runs of the Golden Girls. I am grateful for God's unconditional love.

I woke up this morning and the following scripture came to my mind. Meditate and let it be a blessing to you today.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. "Hebrews 11: 1

1 comment:

  1. LUV your blog! As we have SO MUCH IN COMMON!

    We are both Sorors :)
    We both started running last September (Happy Run Birthday!)
    We both started as something to do (me actually was to lose weight lol)
    We both LUV re-runs of Golden Girls (I have all 7 seasons)
    We both can't wait to do our first 10 miler run (I do mine this Saturday 9/11)
    We both are planning to do our 1st half marathon (mine in Nov)
    We both wear KT Tape (but mine is RED and on my glues LOL)
    We are both BGRs!! www.blackgirlsrun.com

    Keep kickin' those miles and good luck with your double digit run!!

    ReplyDelete