Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Power of Gratitude

I started the gratitude journal because I liked it on another blog and thought it was a really neat idea. Today, I received my daily email from Sparkpeople.com and the topic was the Power of Gratitude and instantly I thought about what I'm thankful for today, and it confirmed for me the reason I decided to start ending my blogs with a gratitude journal. Gratitude means a feeling of thanks or appreciation. Being grateful means you can appreciate life for what it is and what you have~ not the things that aren't going right or you don't have in your life at the moment. Finding gratitude in the everyday things means I can find joy in everything ~ I can praise and thank God through all of my circumstances. Gratefulness, gratefulness is flowing from my heart (it's a verse from a song I used to sing on the church choir). Being thankful and expressing gratitude is another way I choose to honor God.
"give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus"
1 Thessalonians 5:18

Here are some ways to start practicing gratitude to improve your well-being:

  1. Keep a gratitude journal. At the end of each day, write down 3-5 things from the day you feel grateful for. Simplicity is key. Your baby’s smile, a perfect sunset, the train arriving on time, or your best friend’s laughter. Relish the feeling you get when remembering and writing it down.
  2. Express your gratitude. Take the time to share your feelings. Not the simple, polite thank you, but the heartfelt emotions. Tell your friend how her support and sense of humor helps you get through tough times, and how much it means to you. Don’t take your loved ones for granted. Let them know how much you love them and why.
  3. Look for what is right about a situation, not what’s wrong. Sure you’re frustrated by the bus being late, but thankfully you have an understanding boss. Service at the restaurant is poor, but you are lucky to afford an evening out surrounded by good friends.
  4. Practice gratitude with your family and friends. Although you may not say grace before a meal, encourage each family member to report one thing that happened that day that they feel grateful for. When you hear a friend moaning and complaining, challenge him or her to find the hidden opportunity or silver lining to the situation.

Excerpt take from article :4 Ways to Develop an Attitude of Gratitude -- By Ellen G. Goldman, Health and Wellness Coach http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/wellness_articles.asp?id=1541
Gratiitude Journal
I am grateful for a fresh perspective.
I am grateful for my new salad spinner.
I am grateful for being able to see the forest despite the trees.
I am grateful that weeping only endures for a night and joy comes in the morning.
I am grateful for my talks with Ms. D.
I am grateful for my experiences.
I am grateful for new life.
I am grateful for cheesecake and coffee ice cream.
I am just grateful I can be grateful.
Psalm 100 - a psalm for giving thanks.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the email! I'm really glad the gratitude journal is working for you, I know it's been one of the best things I've chosen to do!

    ReplyDelete